Sunday 19 February 2012

To collect, or not collect, that is the question...

So... most people know that I have always wanted to collect "something" and that over the years I have found various things that I think would make a beautiful collection. But nothing ever stuck. Until recently when I found milk glass.

If you haven't heard of milk glass it is an opaque white glass which at first glance looks like porcelain. Fenton Art Glass is an American company and probably the most well known and desirable for milk glass collectors. I love trawling second hand and antique shops seeking out pieces here and there.

However, there isn't much milk glass in Australia and what there is can be overpriced compared to US sellers on sites like eBay and Etsy, and the really pretty pieces have not found their way across the Pacific.

But that is ok... I am happy window shopping on the internet. Well... I was until I spotted a couple of lovely milk glass cake plates on Etsy from Barking Sands Vintage. I ummed and ahhhed but eventually decided it was worth buying them and shipping to Australia. I bought! And I bought them both... very naughty...

Fenton Spanish Lace pedestal cake stand (picture from Barking Sands Vintage Etsy shop)

Westmoreland Petal and Ring low cake stand (picture also from Barking Sands Vintage Etsy shop )

I liked the different heights and thought the patterns looked pretty together. I was slightly nervous about shipping them all the way to Australia but my want for such pretty pieces won me over.

The box arrived and we eagerly started unwrapping... until I heard a noise. Not only was I devastated, I felt absolutely awful that something so pretty was now destroyed because I wanted it.

The good news was that the Fenton Spanish Lace plate was intact (and I love it!) The Westmoreland was destroyed beyond repair... Poor Jeni when I sent her the photos said it hurt to look at it. I know exactly what she means...

Jeni very kindly reimbursed the cost of the plate but it got me thinking it was very selfish of me to buy these plates and ship something so fragile. Should I continue collecting milk glass? And if yes, should I stick to the restricted choice in Australia or continue to buy from the States?

I haven't reached a decision yet. The reason I haven't reached a decision is because what I should do, and what I want to do, are two different things. What do you think? Do I find something else to collect? Do I stick to Australia only? Let me know what YOU would do!

In the meantime I have bought something from Pottery Barn in the US. But I am feeling less guilty (rightly or wrongly) as it is from a major retail chain that offers shipping to Australia and it is not an antique. Too cute to resist I am sharing a photo with you...

Bunny Dessert Stands from Pottery Barn

So it would seem I haven't learned the lesson yet...but let me know what you would do... and check out Jeni's Etsy shop whilst you consider my dilemma :)

And here are some pictures of the Fenton Spanish Lace cake plate with my red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook to prove it arrived and is a welcome item in my home...





Looking forward to your comments!

Take care for now.

Corrinne
xxx

Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. I would like to start a collection of those Red Velvet Cupcakes! Yes, it is a dilemma between what one should do and what one wants to do, but then again, it's not quite so much of a problem if they don't arrive in one piece!

    Dave, is that a dollop of cream on your chin?

    ReplyDelete